Thursday, August 24, 2017

MUSIC'S INFLUENCE

    I grew up in a family where our parents did what most call "sheltering." My mom and dad believed they needed to sensor the movies we watched, and the music we listened to. As an adolescent, I never did understand what the purpose for this was. And, of course, I still found ways to do what I wanted when they weren't looking.
     Now that I am an adult, and I have children of my own, I completely understand the intentions of my parents. I often hear children singing along to songs, completely unbeknownst to what exactly they are saying. My parents were never trying to control me in ways I did not agree with. Instead, they were trying to prevent me from being inappropriate without explaining to me why.
    My mom and dad did not give us a lot of options as far as what music we could listen to. I however, understand their intentions now. I try to give my children a variety of music that is appropriate for them, so that they can choose for themselves what they like to hear. So that they can choose their own sense of style. I am not against censoring anything upon appropriate age groups, but I do believe there is a way to which this can be accomplished without censoring their taste.
     Growing up, I was pretty much only allowed to listen to the local Christian radio station. Unfortunately, I just did not care for the beat and melody. Today, I listen to just about all genres of music. I can not choose just one as a favorite! It really just depends on the mood I'm in. Some of my favorite artists are Dirty Heads, Led Zeppelin, Mumford and Sons, Cody Jinks, Phantogram, and In This Moment. To this day, my parents would not agree with my music choices, but as an adult, that is my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment