Thursday, August 17, 2017

BANNED BOOKS

     When I look at the ALA list of banned books, I see several that I have, at the very least heard of, or saw the movie. I was quite surprised by some of them being on the list, and the reason why they have been banned in our schools.
     The number one book that I was not expecting to see on the ALA list was the Holy Bible, due to it being religious. I completely understand not making this book a requirement to read, however, I do not understand in the slightest why this can not be allowed in the school library. It seems to me that, anymore, adults are so concerned with youth being able to find their own way. This is shown in the transgender debate. Let a child be who they decide to be seems to be the main argument. So why would we not allow them to choose their religion, or give them access to information that assists in choosing a religion? Shouldn't we allow them that freedom, especially since we give them the freedom to decide their gender?
     To see the book Fifty Shades of Grey on the banned book list was of no surprise. I have not read the book to know how graphic of details it expresses, but I have watched the movie. I would not want my child watching the movie, so I highly doubt I would want them to read the book. Fifty Shades of Grey primarily focuses on sex. Although kids are taught about sex, they don't need to learn the details of different ways to perform it.
     It also appears that a lot of reasons for books to be banned is because of racism, and along with it, offensive language. A perfect example of this is the book To Kill A Mockingbird. This book I have read, and the movie I have seen. Yes, racist words are used. Yes, it portrays racism. There is no debate about that. However, how can history be taught without teaching about racism? This movie portrays perfectly what I have been told that piece of history was like. I don't see a point in sugar coating history.
     If someone visited my home and looked on my book shelf, they would not find many books. I love to read novels, but I just don't have the time. My almost nonexistent collection consists of the Holy Bible, the Pacific Northwest, and a study Bible. The conclusions they could come to about my interests are that I am a Christian and religious. They most likely would also believe that I love the outdoors. Who else has a book on the different flora, fauna, wild life, and so on?
    I am a firm believer that yes, some books just aren't suitable for children. I do believe, also, that we need not be so picky and sensitive on what books should be banned and why. We don't have to require our children to read all of these books, but we should at least give them the opportunity to if they so choose. Once again, I'm not saying that all books on the ALS banned books list should not be banned.

No comments:

Post a Comment