Tuesday, June 27, 2017

WEEK 1 :
SOURCES OF INFORMATION AND THEIR RELIABILITY

     As I look back on how I've been receiving my information these last few months, I have realized that my top three sources are facebook, friends/family, and local newspapers (such as the Democrat Herald). Social media is so easily accessible with information that spreads like wild fire, it's not a wonder that I receive most of my information from this source. This is also a place where I'm educated by friends, family and the local newspapers on current events. 
     Although I do have my go to news resources, I never trust just one. Information spreads like rumors and, like rumors, truth gets lost in translation. Different points of views highlights different facts, changing your perspective. When I hear of an event, I instantly go to google. I like to pull up multiple articles. Read the facts from different sources. Not every source has the same agenda and reports the same facts to lead you to the same conclusions. By doing this, I can read a wide range of facts and develop my own opinion on the event. This also allows me to get a better idea of what is being reported accurately.
     We don't always get facts correct the first time, and neither do reporters and journalists. Sometimes we are quick to spread news before verifying our information is accurate. This is one reason why I do not trust just one source for information. In addition, I believe that specific facts will be brought to light, while others are not told at all. It depends on what the source wants you to believe, what perspective they want you to have. Before passing along information, I like to read up as much as possible on the event. Obtain as many facts as possible from an array of perspectives and resources. I like to be able to develop my own unbiased opinion and, when passing along information, I like to pass along that option as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment